thoughts

Saturday, July 9, 2016

Use your Capabilities beyond your Limitations



Use your Capabilities beyond your Limitations......Read On...@ps:
Bruce Lee a martial artist—fast, furious, and strong ....the lightening speed with which he used to attack his opponents.
According to Joe Hyams, author of the book Zen in The Martial Arts, Bruce Lee shared this fact with him during a conversation. Joe Hyams who was 45 that time was facing some problems because of his age. . Joe rued the fact that he could not practice certain kicks because age hampered his elasticity and it took him longer to warm up his body.
Here are the excerpts:
Bruce set his chopsticks down alongside his plate, clasped his hands lightly on his lap, and smiled at me. “That was ten years ago, “he said gently. “So you are older today and your body has changed. Everyone had physical limitations to overcome.”
“That’s all very well for you to say,” I replied. “If ever a man was born with natural ability as a martial artist, it is you.”
Bruce laughed. “I’m going to tell you something very few people know. I became a martial artist in spite of my limitations.”
I was shocked. In my view, Bruce was a perfect physical specimen and I said so.
“You probably are not aware of it,” he said, “but my left leg is almost one inch shorter than the right. That fact dictated the best stance for me – my right foot leading. Then I found because the right leg was longer, I had an advantage with certain types of kicks, since the uneven stomp gave me greater impetus.”
“And I wear contact lenses. Since childhood, I have been near-sighted, which meant that when I wasn’t wearing glasses, I had difficulty seeing an opponent when he wasn’t up close. I originally started Wing-Chun because it is an ideal technique for close-in fighting. I accepted my limitations for what they were and capitalized on them. And that’s what you must learn to do. You say you are unable to Kick over your head without a long warm-up, but the real question is, is it really necessary to Kick that high? The fact is that, until recently, martial artists rarely kicked above knee height. Head-high kicks are mostly for show. So perfect you kicks at waist level and they will be so formidable you’ll never need to kick higher.”
“Instead of trying to do everything well, do those things perfectly of which you are capable. Although most expert martial artists have spent years mastering hundreds of techniques and movements, in a bout or Kumite, a champion may actually use only four or five techniques over and over again. These are the techniques which he has perfected and which he knows he can depend on.”

Source: Bruce Lee Foundation






No comments: